Thursday, June 14, 2007

Here we go!

I learned to letterpress about 4 years ago when I was in art school. Ever since then, I have absolutely loved it. I'm very fortunate to being living in a city (which is Chicago) that has an excellent letterpress studio. Columbia College maintains this studio and has a variety of different presses... about 6 Vandercooks, a few C&Ps, and even a polymer plate machine. It's great!!

But I've always wanted my own press and
, recently (last weekend) that wish came true (thanks to some great support from my boyfriend). Given the size of my condo, I can only manage a small hand press. It's Kelsey 5x8, and in very good condition! I love it! And I will definitely post pics of it later.

It also came with a type cabinet, type, and a collection of odds and ends. I've started to clean this out within the past few days. Boy, this thing is dirty! This guy
definitely had a cat because there are clumps of hair everywhere. Anyway, it's also very interesting too.. just take a look at what I found inside these drawers.




































Look at this closely... it's original Kelsey Printing Ink!!!

2 comments:

Geoff said...

Erin, Love Chicago, love the Denver Broncos...and that letter press? Absolutely cool! I can't wait to see some of your work. Keep blogging and send me a note when you get that press cleaned out and up and running. Geoff
http://geoff40.blogspot.com

erin m carlstrand said...

YAY, a Broncos fan! I will check definitely check out your blog. Thanks for stopping by...